HOW TO ACHIEVE BEST
ENERGY COST SAVINGS
Survey the building requiring warehouse lighting
A good starting point is to know the size of the warehouse. It is important to know the width, length and the height of the room as well as the width of the aisles and whether there is an apex to the ceiling.
The warehouse should also be inspected to ascertain whether there are windows/skylights which can let light through, how many of them and in what state. This information is critical for accurate and efficient lighting design.
Once the warehouse building’s information is known, the next step is to understand what operations staff need to conduct and what will be the likely light usage. For example, the level of light required to read a small label on a box, the operating height of fork lift trucks in order to avoid possible accidental damage of the lights, and the hours of warehouse operation. How often are certain aisles visited?
Review and choose light fittings to install
If the light levels desired for a particular warehouse are known, then it is time to review and select the most suitable light fittings to produce those levels. There are many options available. Some lighting companies still recommend and sell SON or T5 fluorescent light fittings. These light fittings will be a little cheaper to purchase than LED but Luxonic no longer manufacture them because they are simply outdated technology and expensive to operate.
Why pay a little more to install LED lighting?
- LED lighting is more expensive to install but enables up to 96% energy cost savings when combined with intelligent lighting controls and lasts 5 times longer
- LED lighting pays for itself in 2 years and less in some cases.
- SON lamps for example take time to warm up, but LED lights instantly.
- LED's provide a brighter working environment from a lower wattage source
- LED lighting can be complimented by lighting controls, making use of natural daylight and switching lights off in areas not currently in use.
- Lighting controls can also communicate with the light fittings, allowing usage and performance to be monitored in order to further tweak the lighting system for best performance.
- At Luxonic we conduct research and test our light fittings in out inhouse laboratory to make sure that the figures we openly quote on our website are actually achievable! Light fittings which produce higher light outputs at lower wattages will be the most energy efficient. View our Hi-Max’s spec.
Review and choose intelligent lighting controls
Any lighting controls which will allow a business to switch off the lights when an area is unused or when enough natural daylight is available are desirable. However, Luxonic recommends wireless lighting controls. The reasons for this are simple.
- No wires required(no cables to buy)
- Wireless communication between fittings
- Each luminaire is dimmable and addressable
- No installation costs (compared to DALI system)
- Quick Commissioning
- Existing wiring can be reused in refurbishment projects
- Fittings can easily be repositioned at a later date because of no wires
- A more “Sustainable” design (uses less copper than traditional DALI system)
- Usage and performance data stored on cloud or tablet for review, to enable further lighting system tweaks.
Purchasing and installing equipment which is on the technology list may qualify a business for tax relief or up to £10,000 contribution from the Carbon Trust.